What does it take to produce the most sought-after, world-class basmati rice? The answer is simple – world-class rice processing plants. And that’s something Kohinoor Foods Ltd. knows all about, perhaps better than most.
Its rice factory at Murthal, Haryana is one of the largest in the country with an unbelievable milling capacity – 50 metric tonnes per hour. Not only that, the plant is ISO 9001:2000, HACCP and BRC certified along with being EUFSA and USFDA compliant. Fully automated through the entire chain of processing and final packaging, the factory uses the world’s best technologies and equipment for churning out rice grains that can only be described as impeccable.
Also, the manufacturing facility has a strong scientific procurement system. The company has contract farming to ensure consistency of agri produce and control on the entire value chain of basmati. In addition to that, an able, technical team of procurement personnel takes care of what is sourced for produce. The entire chain is documented to the minutest detail ensuring 100% traceability as per international norms.
Facts about the Rice Factory:
- Area of about 36 acres
- One of the largest storage capacities – 20,000 metric ton of rice; 50,000 metric ton of paddy
- Production capacity – 1000 metric ton per day
- 5 milling lines with milling capacity of 6 metric ton per hour
- 14 color sorter machines (9 of Buhler’s & 5 of Satake’s)
- State of art ‘Z’ series sorting machines of Buhler’s
- Mechanical Dryers with paddy drying capacity of 1000 metric ton per day
- Silos attached with dryers for safe storage of paddy (8 silos with 300 metric ton capacity and 3 silos with 500 metric ton capacity)
- Parboiling capacity of 500 metric ton per day
- First rice unit to get ISO 9002
- First rice unit to get approved under “In Process Quality Control System” of EIC Govt. of India
- First rice unit to get BRC Food Certification in India
- First rice unit to introduce Flexible Packaging for rice in India
- FFS (Form Fill Seal) machines for packing pouches and jars from Tetra pack Nichrome
- Nitrogen flushing in packs by in house commissioned N2gas plant
- Semi-automated packing plant with imported metal detectors and check weigher systems
- Most versatile packaging offered, ranging from Jute & Cotton Bags to Laminate Pouches, Pet Jars, Paper & Tyvek Bags to Non-Woven Fabric Bags
- Self sufficient power generation capacity
The Specialized Paddy Procurement Procedure
Kohinoor Foods Limited does the procurement of paddy in a very scientific way, with a lot of research work behind it. The company gives the farmers all the help they need in bringing up their crop with good vigor and health. R&D teams regularly visit the farms and advise the farmers with the status of their crop and remedies of diseases, if any. This is done right from sowing to transplanting and harvesting of the crop.
Before the harvesting happens, Kohinoor Foods Limited draws samples from different zones and tests them in the laboratory. They are tested under various parameters of the company. The zones that conform to the quality standard norms of the company are selected for the procurement of the paddy. The paddy is received and stored in controlled atmosphere with tight pest control measures.
What’s more, Kohinoor Foods Limited maintains full traceability of the basmati rice packed under Kohinoor’s name. It keeps all the records of paddy received and processed by giving them a special identification code.
The Specialized Facility for Organic Produce
Looking at the stressful life and heightened awareness of health among the consumers, Kohinoor Foods Limited conducts contract farming for growing Organic Basmati Rice. This is done in Dehradun, India – one of the places where Basmati Rice originated.
The company procures Organic Basmati Rice by coming in direct contact with the farmers, helping them in production and by using the required technology.
The company’s ‘Organic Basmati Program’ is in collaboration with Uttarrakhand Government of India under their ‘Organic Basmati Export Program’.
Kohinoor Foods Limited has contracts with 8 big groups of farmers comprising a total of 1128 farmers. What started with a small area of about 110 hectare in 2005 is today extended to around 750 hectare. The total area of farming Organic Basmati Rice is intended to cross a target of 1200 hectares soon.
The Initiative for Fair-Trade
With poor farmers in mind, Kohinoor Foods Limited is soon planning to initiate an endeavour that ensures fair farming practice in the rice market. With the objective of uplifting the social and economic status of the poor farmers in India, this ‘Fair-Trade’ would involve contract farming with the farmers wherein the produce of those farmers would be procured at a very good price.
To make certain that the authentic Indian taste is savoured by millions worldwide, Kohinoor Foods Ltd. conforms to the highest standards of quality and food safety. Just the reason why its food plant is ISO 9001:2000, HACCP BRC and GMO certified for its adherence to prescribed quality norms. In addition, the factory is also equipped with Kosher and Halal certification.
Along with that comes a world-class infrastructure backed by the best possible technology in thermal processing and freezing. Kohinoor Foods’ technology partners include world leaders like FMC Technologies – US, Toyo Jidoki – Japan, G. Mondini – Italy and Romer – Germany, to name a few.
Also worthy of a mention here is Kohinoor Foods’ human resource talent. With a relentless pursuit to excel, the culinary chefs, R&D and new product development experts have created a host of innovative products. The company’s range of microwaveable ready meals – Rice & Curry is a case in point. Rice & Curry comes in a double compartment tray with offerings of rice and curry together in a microwaveable format. Not to forget the range of cook-in-sauces - 100% natural Indian curry sauce, that another example of endless innovation at Kohinoor Foods Ltd.